Friday, May 2, 2008

A Labelled Diagram Of A Viking Longboat



My journey is separated into three parts: before, during and after, which I connected distinct feelings: fear, surprise and apprehension.

Before leaving, I had many doubts about the appreciation of my trip I did not like soy, I had no cue on the Japanese language or very little, it seemed that we would see as temples and was the first time that I was leaving on a trip with teachers. It also seemed that the route was not yet fully structured or organized and very afraid that we find ourselves with no way in the middle of Japan.

When we arrived in Tokyo, I was afraid ms doubts are confirmed: the neighborhood where our hotel was seemed very fishy!

is aware of the following days I began to understand the environment in which I was in high- partly because I healed of my cold! And I was struck by the staggering number of paradoxes which inhabited Japan.

I was deeply marked by concern for the Japanese environment. It seemed they had put in place many structures and means to conserve water, manage waste, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, etc.., But on the other hand, their level of consumption was phenomenal : fashion was everywhere, in stores - more than - supermarket (!) was present at almost every street corner, their car had no more than a half-dozen years ... it was amazing how, in a sense, they were green and in another, how they ate.

The second paradox struck me-and perhaps more than if I had not been ill-is the noise and silence. At Shibuya especially at an intersection where three giant screens simultaneously screaming their advertisements, in addition to the noise of cars, noise indicators for crosswalks, which paraded the cars to promote the new disc of a pop singer, the pachinkos ... the noise was everywhere ... except inside cars where there was a strange silence!

In Kyoto, another paradox, less present than in Tokyo, surprised me: that of technology and tradition. The holiday season even more marked the struggle they were engaged. In the streets, people were walking in a kimono while cars are parked newly invented by their side. Buildings with incredible architecture rubbed houses typically Japanese ... And while Japan appears to face the world, the Japanese are valuable to keep their ceremonies and traditions that are part of their daily.

Finally, although I know that every country has something special, it seems to me that culture shock can never be as great and memorable as the one I lived in Japan. My future trips are not likely to lose wealth, but after discovering a culture so alien to mine, my surprise may be less.
Marilyne Léveillé

0 comments:

Post a Comment